Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Life Worth Living????

Yes, I have been absent for a while.  I believe some wise person once said "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans."  How true.  Well, a while back, I mused on the virtues of bacon because everything is better with bacon.  It just is, no denying that fact. Bacon adds that wonderful warmth and creaminess to whatever you are making. No self-respecting Southern woman would ever cook without bacon as the basis for most everything.

I wondered what the limits of bacon in everything just might be.  So did someone else and they even wrote a cookbook about it called... drum roll, please..  Bacon!!!!!  (James Villas author and published John Wiley and Sons)  The pictures are gorgeous, and I learned that differing countries have different types of bacon.  Who knew? There are all kinds of mouthwatering recipes using all kinds of bacon, from bacon pies, to warm salad dressings, to quiches, to an unspeakably good corn and bacon souffle, to pretty much everything.


All this being said, a medical ailment has done the impossible in my life.  I CAN NO LONGER EAT BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seeing as I almost worship at the altar of bacon, this is quite a depressing thought. No more BLT and avocado sandwiches that are slathered in garlicky mayo, no more warm bacon salad dressing over my goat cheese and beet salad, no more chopped and sauteed bacon mixed with warm cherry tomatoes over my pasta, no more bacon wrapped meatloaf, no more pate with bacon, no more bacon pumpernickel bread, no more wild rice with bacon and oysters, no more baked beans with bacon. Guess what?  No more bacon cookies!!!!!  In the words of Lucy, the beloved character from Peanuts, ARGHH!!!!!!  Considering the active role bacon plays in my gastronomic repertoire, I must ask myself  Is this a life worth living? My doctor said I could always try turkey bacon.  Are you kidding?  Sounds almost sacrilegious. Blasphemous?  Maybe.

Well, for those who can still continue to imbibe in the world's' most tasty food, think of me when you take that first fabulous bite of whatever it is you are eating.  And have pity on those of us doomed to turkey bacon.


In the meantime, check out the cool stuff on Etsy that makes bacon all worthwhile.

I Love You More Than Bacon Greeting Card - non traditional love card - meat - anniversary - funny valentine -  card - pink
This is from Lucy's Art Emporium and what better way to express one's undying love for you... or bacon??

https://www.etsy.com/listing/91433453/i-love-you-more-than-bacon-greeting-card?ref=sr_gallery_40&ga_search_query=i+love+you+more+than+bacon&ga_ref=auto6&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Or try cjsultimatefoods, a shop that looks unbelievably great.  I can smell it though my computer...

Bacon Jam - The Original (6OZ)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/167559600/bacon-jam-the-original-6oz?ref=shop_home_feat_1


And last but not least, you can decorate with bacon fabric.  The possibilities are endless!!!!

Realistic Food Cotton Fabric! 4 Options! Bacon, Cupcakes, Food Festival, & Pancakes! Yummy! [Sold by 1/2 Yard Increments]
https://www.etsy.com/listing/125738553/realistic-food-cotton-fabric-4-options?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=bacon&ga_ref=auto2&ga_explicit_scope=1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery


Well, until next week, it's 5:00 somewhere.

My Etsy store?  designbayou...

No comments:

Post a Comment