Thursday, January 2, 2014

Radiant Orchid and Bathroom Repair




             This incident report is based on a true story.  In order to protect the names of the innocent, they have been changed to “my husband” and “my husband’s youngest son.”

            We needed two new toilet seats for … well, you know.  So my husband and I went to Lowes and bought the appropriate fitting seats.  His youngest son was on board to help with exchanging the seats, the old having seen many days of tortuous use by the men in my life, to the new, looking shiny and much more hygienic.

            They searched through the toolbox and selected what they deemed to be the appropriate sized wrench to wrest the toilet seat from its perch and proceeded.  After much blood, sweat, and tears, they decided they were using the incorrect sized wrench and moved to one that more than likely was designed to remove tire lugs from an 18-wheeler truck.  Shortly thereafter, I learned that it was possible to make a large hole in the side of the toilet bowl with a wrench handle.  I did not know that.  Water began spewing out of the toilet bowl like a New York City fire hydrant on a July afternoon. My husband began running around, searching for towels while his youngest son tried in vain to shut off the water valve that was rusted open.  To make a long story short, professionals were summoned.  The total cost for two new toilets was $641.  Lucky for us, the new toilets came with seats.

            So what does this have to do with Radiant Orchid, Pantone’s Color of the Year for 2014???  It was on my initial trip into Lowes to find the above mentioned items that I saw It.  It is Radiant Fuchsia, a color I can’t decide if it is Pink-on-Steroids or Dressed-Down Magenta.



       


          

           

            For all you girlie girls, pink aficionados, this is your year to work your favorite color with reckless abandon.  Now is the time to paint your bedroom with that wild shade of pink with no apologies needed.  I once knew a woman who painted her dining room a shade of pink very similar to this and filled the room with fabulous antiques.  All the women loved it because, in the glow of the evening light, we all looked 20 years younger.  The men?  Well, it WAS a pink room……

            For those of you who see this shade through magenta colored glasses, this color has great tropical appeal; think poolside, complemented with cobalt blue, brilliant orange, and sunshine yellow.  Pillowcases, napkins, tablecloths or any textile in this shade makes it a great accent for leisure places.  Or as the main attraction, paint your bathroom walls this color and play it up with one of those fun plastic shower curtains you can buy that have shoes, lipsticks and the like on them.  But beware, Ladies, that this application would seriously limit the amount of time spent in the bathroom by your male counterpart.

            Well, that’s it for this week.  I welcome your thoughts on Pantone’s Color of the Year or bathroom repair.  Either way, have a Happy 2014!!!

2 comments:

  1. Funny!! I love your blog posts, keep up the great work, girl. You've got me inspired to incorporate Radiant Orchid into my color scheme at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your DIY disaster is hilarious although I feel for you. I wonder if you all looked back on it and had a good laugh? It just shows why sometimes DIY doesn't actually save you money! As for the colour pink, I like the idea, though I'm not brave enough to try it anywhere but in the toilet, for the good reasons you explain.

    Gordon Patton @ Bison Plumbing

    ReplyDelete